måndag 12 maj 2008

Stolen domain

About 6 months after I had registered the domain methatron2.com (at the Swedish Loopia service), I got a letter from a US company "offering" me to buy that very domain for the "mere" sum of $250, which I of course ignored.
Then time was up to me to pay for the renewal of the domain, and I was delayed with one day. For a start I was confused that I couldn't, so I phoned the Loopia service and asked them what was up. They said the domain name was in a stage of deactivation, but what they didn't know was the fact that the domain had been nicked several weeks ahead of the expiration date. Call me stupid - I didn't know they could do that.

Anyway, I'm not going to pay $250 for something I came up with, and thus I'm registering a new domain. I'll keep you updated. :-)

2 kommentarer:

Jon sa...

Well, they can't. I suppose Loopia lied to you about this. They do, howe ver, have automated systems looking for expiring domains to register (and they do within hours of the expiration time). It's sucky when you forget to pay in time, I've done that myself! :D

K. Lindblom sa...

Well, next time I will just pay as soon as the bill drops in. That would rid me of all potential threat on this level. ;)